The story of Union Depot and its role in connecting the far north to the world is one of great vision and persistence. It’s a story that begins in the mid-19th century and continues with renewed energy in the 21st.
The first Union Depot was built near the river in 1881. After a second fire destroyed the station, the design for the grand neo-classical building standing today was commissioned in 1913.
SPUD (St. Paul Union Depot)
During Union Depot’s next phase, the railroads, the post office and St. Paul Union Depot Co. offered opportunities for jobs at and travel from this historic neighborhood
The last passenger train (Burlington’s Afternoon Zephyr) serving Union Depot in the 20th century departed on April 30, 1971. The building never stood empty and its use as a passenger station was never far from people’s hearts and minds.