Vote on Best Train Story for Winner of 2 Free Amtrak Tickets to Chicago
ST. PAUL, Minn. (May 1, 2013) – Union Depot in St. Paul is celebrating Amtrak’s 2013 National Day Train Day on Saturday May 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a day full of train-themed activities for the whole family.
“Trains Matter” is the theme of this year’s Train Day celebration. The historic Union Depot, which reopened to the public in December 2012 after a two-year restoration, sponsored an online contest to win two free tickets to Chicago via Amtrak and a $100 gift card for Catch Thirty Five Seafood and Premium Steak restaurant in Chicago. Members of the public can now select their favorite train story submitted by Twin Citians who wrote short essays on “why trains matter” to them via this online link: https://apps.facebook.com/digitalivy/fb/110661612351455/sqcdqv/ugc/gallery?signed_request
May 9 is the deadline for voting.
Amtrak will move its Twin Cities station to Union Depot in St. Paul by the end of 2013.
Union Depot’s National Train Day events will include free, fun-filled activities for the whole family. Among the featured attractions:
- Commemorative posters to the first 500 people through the doors
- Children’s artist Choo Choo Bob performing his train-themed shows throughout the day
- Appearances by Saint Paul Saints mascot “John Train”
- Cannonball Paul and his vintage railroad band performing Bluegrass music throughout the day
- FREE Shuttle busses from Union Depot to Minnesota Transportation Museum from 11:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Buses leave on the half-hour from both locations.
- MyTalk107.1 radio personalities doing the “World’s Not So Biggest Train Dance” at 1:00 p.m.
- History of the railroad and trains from: Great Northern Railway Historical Society, Minnesota Transportation Museum/Jackson Street Roundhouse, and Trails & Rails.
- Historian John Diers’ presentation on his new book, St. Paul Union Depot. The books will also be available for purchase.
- Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority displays of maps and information about future transportation routes that will be departing from Union Depot.
- Christos Greek Restaurant – in Union Depot – open for lunch 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
National Train Day is one of the community-building events that Union Depot is planning for families and people of all ages, designed to highlight the historic Union Depot as “The Living Room of St. Paul.” For more information about National Train Day or the historic Union Depot, please call 651-202-2700 or visit www.uniondepot.org.