Revitalized and once again welcoming travelers and visitors of all kinds, Union Depot is what it’s always been – a meeting place, a starting point, a hub of activity, a home to celebrations much anticipated and long remembered.
In the next chapter of its existence, this one-of-a-kind facility is playing a key part of the dramatic transformation of Lowertown and will serve as a multimodal transportation hub. A true gathering place past, present and future, Union Depot is also the perfect setting for public events, private functions, arts and cultural festivals, concerts and more.
Union Depot was completed in 1926. It was placed on to the National Registry of Historic Places in 1974, and under ownership of the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority (RCRRA), it underwent extensive renovations in 2011-2012 totaling $243 million. Learn more about the history of Union Depot and its dramatic renovation.
Union Depot has been recognized with a wide range of awards and commendations, and we are honored to accept them on behalf of the many people and organizations who have worked hard to help this enduring community asset once again serve the City of Saint Paul and the surrounding metropolitan area.
- Achievement Award: Community/Economic Development – National Association of Counties
- Sustainable Saint Paul Award: Commercial Green Building Design – City of Saint Paul
- Heritage Preservation Award – Saint Paul Heritage Preservation Commission and Saint Paul Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
- National Project of the Year: Historical Restoration/Preservation — American Public Works Association
- Best Project: Rehabilitation, Renovation, Restoration — Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) — Upper Midwest Region
- Honor Award: Restoration and Renovation — The American Institute of Architects (AIA) — Minnesota
- Minnesota Preservation Award — Preservation Alliance of Minnesota
- Honor Award for Excellence: Masonry Design and Construction: Interior Masonry — Minnesota Concrete and Masonry Construction Association (MCMCA)
- Best Project — Preservation Alliance of Minnesota
- Celebrate Business Success Award — Saint Paul Area Chamber of Commerce
- Top Project — Finance and Commerce
- Finalist, ReScape Award — Minnesota Brownfields
- Pending, Civil Engineering Excellence — American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
- Best in Show – International Facility Management Association (IMFA), MSP Chapter
- Adaptive Re-Use Over 100 Million – IMFA, MSP Chapter
- Best in Real Estate: Best Overall — Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal
- Best in Real Estate: Adaptive Reuse Award — Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal
- Project of the Year — Metropolitan Economic Development Association (MEDA)
- Outstanding Shotcrete Project of the Year for Rehabilitation & Repair — American Shotcrete Association (ASA)
- Minnesota Preservation Award for the Union Depot Historic Structures Report — Preservation Alliance of Minnesota
- Cultural Heritage Award for the Union Depot Historic Structures Report — Saint Paul Historic Preservation Commission and The American Institute of Architects (AIA) — Saint Paul Chapter