54 minutes to Mississippi River relaxation.
- A getaway to Red Wing, Minnesota is a great day trip that can easily be extended to one or more nights. Early in the morning, you’ll leave Union Depot in St. Paul on the eastbound Amtrak® Empire Builder headed to Chicago and return on the westbound train destined for the Pacific Northwest. You’ll arrive in Red Wing mid-morning. A good way to get oriented is with a walking tour in the beautiful downtown area. National Geographic Traveler magazine ranked Red Wing as the 23rd most historic place to visit of 109 global destinations, so there’s a lot to see.
- The St. James Hotel is a historic landmark in the city, and nearby you can also visit the Pottery Museum of Red Wing. And while you’re there, why not rent a bike and take a spin on the Cannon Valley Trail? If you’re an art lover, you’ll want to head over to the The Anderson Center, the largest artist community in the Upper Midwest.
- The agenda for the afternoon is full of options. You could stop by the world renowned Red Wing Shoe Company Museum to see the world’s largest boot or enjoy a round of golf on the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River. The Treasure Island Casino is also nearby and offers free round-trip shuttles from Red Wing to the casino.
- The westbound Amtrak® Empire Builder arrives in Red Wing a little before 9:00 p.m., so you have plenty of time for dinner or even an early evening show at the Sheldon Theatre.
- And if one day in Red Wing isn’t enough, stay longer and enjoy one of the great local lodging options.