Do you love trains? Is there a railfan in your family? We’ve got the perfect spot for your next fun outing. Enjoy an afternoon or unique al fresco picnic experience at our Rail View Picnic Area. Adjacent to the far eastern edge of Union Depot Lot C East, the Rail View Picnic Area allows views of freight and passenger trains, with a bonus of aircraft from St. Paul Downtown Airport (Holman Field) flying overhead.
Overlooking the busy Division Street Wye in downtown St. Paul, the Rail View Picnic Area offers amenities including:
- Beautiful landscaping
- Six picnic tables covered with pergolas
- Bicycle parking
- Free access by bike/pedestrian path
The Division Street Wye is part of a dense, rail-rich area which each day carries up to 10,000 freight rail cars, or 5% of the nation’s freight volume. Get a sneak peak at the railroad traffic you’ll see by checking out our Railfan Cam. This camera faces southeast and is mounted adjacent to the Rail View Picnic Area.
With so many Lowertown restaurants and delis and the St. Paul Farmer’s Market nearby, it’s easy to pick up lunch to enjoy at the picturesque spot.
The picnic area is accessible by:
- Sidewalk on the south side of Kellogg Boulevard
- Bike/pedestrian path connecting at Sibley Street and Kellogg Boulevard or the East Plaza
- Parking in Union Depot Lot C East (east of the Lafayette Bridge)